Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Two's Day

Today was a cool day in Delft.  Not just because I am here, but the rain last night has brought some cool temps.  Walking the mile to my conference was enough to warm me.

Here is a poem I saw on Facebook earlier today.  It is probably more interesting if you know how to count in three bit binary, otherwise it is just two random words repeated in some weird pattern.

Run, hero, run! 
by Mike Naylor

Hero, hero, hero
Hero, hero... run!
Hero, run hero.
Hero run run!
Run hero hero
Run, hero, run!
Run run hero
Run run run!

We had a talk today from someone interested in constructing polyhedra (shapes with polygons as sides) that are as round as possible.  It turns out this has some interesting applications in constructing things like soccer balls.  The speaker has patented some designs using his designs that improve the roundness of the original ball before inflation.  I went to some other interesting talks and some workshops.  I got some good ideas for one of my classes.

Some interesting soccer ball designs and associated polyhedra.

I opted to get some sandwich stuff at the local market and have dinner in my room.  My talk is tomorrow and I need to spend some time tonight putting the finishing touches on it.  My talk is one of the last sessions on the last day.  Hopefully there will be more than janitors in the audience!


No comments:

Post a Comment