Friday, June 6, 2014

Turkey tummy!!!

On Wednesday, I woke up feeling very sick to my stomach.  Emily warned me that I should be prepared for Turkey tummy, so I came with pepto and immodium.   I had a nice little vomit in the toilet, had a hot shower, then took some pepto.  I felt better, but defintely not at full strength.

Our plan was to see more of the city, so we headed out.  Emily's friend Erdem picked us up in hist car and we drove to the Zeugma mosaic museum, which has dozens of large mosaics moved from a now dam flooded excavation site nearby.  These mosaics date to the 3rd or 4th century AD and contain scenes from Greek mythology.

I was not feeling real good, and we walked slowly through the exhibits.  Luckily it was not very crowded or too noisy.  However, turkey tummy hit and I could have created my own mosaic on the museum floor, but luckily Emily had brought along a plastic bag for me.  I sat in a corner and filled it.  That made me feel better and I was able to make it the reset of the day without incident. 

After the museum, we went to a very large mall.  The parking was underground and the security guard checked the car and trunk for anything suspisicous before we entered.  We had coffee and pastries at a coffee house in the mall and made plans for the rest of the afternoon.

We decided to head to a nearby park that is popular for picknicking.  It was a pine forest that had a nice man-made lake with very nice formal landscaping.  There were many school groups there for the afternoon.  We walked around and got lots of fresh air.

We then went to Gaziantep university, where Emily has been working as one of five Fulbright scholars.  They are helping the college students learn English, which is not that common, especially in this part of Turkey.  Emily did not have her keys, but we walked through her building.

Emily has also been teaching some faculty of the affiliated medical school English with Matt, one of her Fulbright partners.  Wednesday evening was their last class and the topic was idioms.  There was a fun and lively conversation with people obviously interested in improving their English.  One of them gave us a ride home after class.

Emily went out with friends, but I started feeling sick again and decided to stay home and rest.  Emily came home late, and said she too had been struck with a stomach bug and threw up.  She came home with some dehydration salts and we both drank some to help avoid dehydration.

Sadly, I felt too sick to blog.  What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment