Sunday, June 1, 2014

A turkey travels to Turkey

Summertime is here.  In academia that means no classes and limited formal obligations.  That allows for activities that are easy to accomplish during the school year, such as extended travel.

Today I begin the first adventure: Turkey!  I will there three weeks.  The first week I will be in Gaziantep, where my youngest daughter Emily has been the past year.  She was the recipient of a Fulbright award and has been teaching English at a local university.  The second week, I will be in Ankara attending the Nexus conference on mathematics and architecture.  The third week we will be traveling, including Izmir and Istanbul.

This is my first time in Turkey and I know very little Turkish.  However, I am very excited about seeing Emily, who is fluent.  What a great opportunity to travel the country with someone who knows the language and customs!  Especially becuse it is my daughter, whom I have not seen in six months.

Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment