Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Another cracking good day

After my grand day out and about Bournemouth yesterday, it was down to business today.  However, it still feels a bit weird, especially crossing the roads. I had a bit of a close shave crossing the road as I forgot to look right instead of left.  Sort of like wearing the wrong trousers...  Anyway, I don't have a trusty companion like Gromit to help me.  Hopefully Amy will be of help when she arrives.  At least it is a fairly short 15 minute walk from my hotel to the conference location.

The conference is going well.  I have reconnected with people I have met in previous years.  It is not a large conference, about 50 people are attending.  The talks have been interesting.  Some good applied math: linear algebra, calculus of variations, Green's theorem, integration by parts, interpolation, and approximation.  Also some interesting art-related talks and displays.  There was a reception at the end of the day with a chance to mingle with other attendees.

A view from the conference building.

I had dinner at a Turkish restaurant tonight.  I had some hummus, lamb kabobs, and a almond pudding for dessert.  It was very good.  I was the only one in the restaurant when I arrived, so I talked to the owners about Turkey.  They had not been to Antep, but said good things about it.  I took the long way back to my hotel along the ocean.

Another ocean view.

The tree-lined street near my hotel.

I am able to connect to the wifi from my room tonight, so I have been able to avoid the lobby and work with my shoes off and feet up.  Now time to finish my talk.  Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment